Monday, January 21, 2008

One year from now...

To tell you a little about myself, I am a 27 year-old administrative assistant at a university in the Central Coast region of California. I graduated from college in 2003 with a BA in Psychology. I am now beginning the process of pursuing a graduate degree. Specifically, I'm aiming for a Ph.D. in Social Psychology. Someday, I would like to conduct research for a social policy research institute. But that's a long way away. This blog will detail my progress as I study for the GREs (Psychology subject test and General), research graduate programs, fill out applications, write personal statements, and hopefully actually start grad school in Fall 2009.

In reading the blogs of other grad students (or grad school applicants), I've noticed that a large group of us are not represented. You may notice from my introductory paragraph above that I received my Bachelor's Degree almost five years ago. What have I been doing since then? Working, exploring my educational options, supporting my partner in finishing her degree. The point is, I did not go straight from an undergraduate to a graduate program. Judging from the blogs out there, I seem to be a rarity. But it seems to me that there must be at least a handful of others out there in the same position. So I'm writing this for all of us. My hope is that others who are in the same position can look here for support and tips on attacking the grad school application process.

So one year from now, if all goes according to plan, I will have submitted my last application, and I'll be watching the mail every day for the acceptance letters that are bound to start pouring in. Grad school here I come!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites